The Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre (CWHWC) is a holistic health care centre serving transgender and gender-diverse communities. It operates on a volunteer basis and works within an anti-oppressive social justice framework. At the CWHWC, we aim to provide low-barrier wellness services to trans and gender diverse people in a way that is respectful and celebratory of clients’ identity and self-expression.
Position: Client Liaison
The Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre is seeking 2-3 volunteer Client Liaisons for a time commitment of one to two clinic days per month, (approximately 4-8 hours per month on one Sunday afternoon and/or one Monday evening per month).
The Client Liaison (CL) orients clients to resources and events, facilitates conversation and activities, helps create an atmosphere of comfort and fun, while building community and capacity with clients upon arrival and in the wait-room. The CL is an essential part of creating an inviting atmosphere in what is typically a nerve wracking and stressful place and time.
The CWHWC is strongly committed to equity and building a diverse team. We acknowledge that our clinic must do better at recognizing the knowledge and experience of our community members who are black, Indigenous, or people or colour (BIPOC). In consultation with our BIPOC volunteers, we are at this time only considering applicants who identify as black, Indigenous or a person of color (BIPOC). We will accept applications from people who identify as trans women or as being on the transfeminine spectrum, regardless of ethnic or ‘racial’ identity. If you have questions about this policy, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We prioritize LGBTQ2+ applicants, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Reporting: The Client Liaison reports directly to the CWHWC Organizers or the Volunteer Coordinator. The Volunteer Coordinator is available to address questions or concerns either in lieu of or in the absence of an official organizer.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Welcome clients in waiting room space
- Visit with clients in waiting room setting during clinic hours
- Arrange and take down waiting room space before and after clinic
- Co-ordinate and prepare food and drinks for each clinic
- Provide flexible, on-going support to clients and staff during clinic hours
- Observe and uphold our statement of Collective Ethics
Required Experience and Competencies
- Lived experience and/or working knowledge of the health needs of trans and gender-diverse communities.
- A strong commitment to promoting the health of trans communities
- Training and practice engaging in active listening
- Friendly and sensitive to interpersonal and group dynamics
- Strong understanding of client confidentiality
- Comfort initiating conversation with new people
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience navigating complex boundaries in a health or service oriented position
- Ability to use professional conduct in an informal role
Posting date: June 6th, 2016
Closing date: Rolling application
Position start date: N/A
All CWHWC volunteers are expected to commit to a minimum one-year volunteer term.
Please send a cover letter and resume (attn: Selection Committee re: Client Liaison) to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.